In the summer of 1994 Kokane’s “Funk Upon A Rhyme” album was never off rotation in my cd player. Track number 2, “From the funk to the back” had me addicted from the start. I had never heard anything quite like it in the hip hop/rap genre. Heavy p-funked beats with eccentric sing-style rap flows. One of my all time favorite albums.
Since I bought it all those years ago it has since become a very rare and valuable album, probably due to the fact Ruthless records was disbanded soon after the death of Eazy E. It is not uncommon to see copies on ebay selling for $100+.
- Ridin’ on the Funk
- From the Funk to the Back
- Mo’ Water
- Slow Burnin’ 22.5 Degrees Fahrenheit
- I Need Representation
- My Day Is Coming
- All Bark No Bite feat. Tha Alkaholiks
- Bakin’ Soda Free
- Aftermath feat. Above The Law & Dirty Red
- No Pain No Gain
- Shots Out
- Shit, Goddamm
- Don’t Bite The Phunk (dissing Dr. Dre, Snoop Doggy Dogg, Tha Dogg Pound & Death Row) feat. Cold 187um